Centre for Teaching Excellence

Teach | Academic Integrity



What do I do if the student does not respond to my request to meet?

Section 2.1 of the S2017-05 Academic Integrity Procedure requires that the instructor meet with the student to discuss the matter and to consider an appropriate remedy.  To request the meeting, it is recommended that an instructor take reasonable steps to meet with the student:

  • Send an email to the student’s CapU email address requesting to meet.
  • Follow-up with a second email within 2 days if a response is not received.
  • Follow-up at the beginning or end of the next class session (if possible).

If the student has not responded following the above steps, it is reasonable for the instructor to decide and apply a remedy.  The balance of probabilities does not require an admission of guilt.


What do I do if the student disagrees with my determination/remedy application?

Per Section 2.4.4 of the S2017-05 Academic Integrity Procedure the student may dispute the infraction or proposed remedy by contacting the Office of Student Affairs within five (5) business days.

What do I do if I’m not sure that an infraction has taken place?

If you have suspicions about a student’s submission or exam, the next step is to look for evidence.  See “Detection” for the possible warning signs of an infraction and evidence sources.


What do I do if there is plagiarism on a group project?

If possible, determine whether an individual or the entire group is responsible for the plagiarism, i.e.

  • Which group member/s contributed plagiarised material
  • Which group member/s knew the submission included plagiarised material

It is recommended that the instructor meet with group members individually, keeping the group members separate before and after the meeting, if possible, e.g., waiting in the administrator’s office.  Ask that students bring their drafts or notes.  From the drafts or notes, you may be able to identify which parts of the project each student worked on and whether the student did their own work or used plagiarised materials. If a determination can be made as to the “guilty party/ies”, an instructor remedy can be applied to specific group members (minor infraction) or inform the dean and the Office of Student Affairs (major infraction).

What do I do if two students are involved in the infraction?

If a student copies from another student without their knowledge, both students are culpable.  The instructor can choose from 4 remedy options (minor infraction) or report the incident to the dean (major infraction).


Where does the report I submit go to?

The report should be emailed to the student/s involved, the Office of Student Affairs and the dean.  The Office of Student Affairs will advise the dean if the student has a previous violation of academic integrity and will also record the instructor’s remedy on the student’s file.


How can I tell whether the student has committed an infraction in the past?

Instructors do not have access to the infraction database.


What happens if the student has committed an infraction in the past?

After you report the student:


If the instructor reports a minor infraction If the instructor reports a major infraction
If the student has committed an infraction in the past and the infraction was reported, the Office of Student Affairs will advise the dean.  The dean may determine a different remedy.  If this occurs, the determination will be shared with the instructor and a copy will be kept in the student’s file with the Office of Student Affairs. The Office of Student Affairs will notify the dean if the student has a previous violation of academic integrity.  The dean will determine if an investigation is required based upon confirmation of a previous offense or the seriousness of the alleged infraction.


What if the student becomes distressed?

Counselling Services at Capilano provides several resources for faculty members:

You can refer your student to one of the PDF resources available on the Counselling Services’ website.

Students can book an appointment for a free counselling session.

For students requiring urgent support, help line information is provided on Counselling Services’ website.


What if I'm feeling distressed?

The Employee & Family Assistance Program provides professional, confidential, and voluntary counselling support and programs for employees. Services are free of cost to you and are accessible by phone, in-person, or internet via video and instant message.  To access services, contact Homewood Health at 1 800 663 1142. This toll-free number is available 24/7 and services are available in multiple languages. To access online resources you can register on www.homeweb.ca by clicking ‘Sign Up’.


Capilano University is named after Chief Joe Capilano, an important leader of the Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh) Nation of the Coast Salish people. We respectfully acknowledge that our campuses are located on the unceded sovereign Indigenous Nations of Lil’wat, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm(Musqueam), Shíshálh (Sechelt), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh(Squamish) and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh).


Capilano University | 2055 Purcell Way | North Vancouver | BC | Canada | V5J 3H5