Centre for Teaching ExcellenceProgram and Events
Sparkshops – On Demand Mini Workshops
Sparkshops are on demand mobile mini-workshops, facilitated by CTE or a CTE faculty associate. Sparkshops take place during department meetings, faculty meetings or other teaching related gatherings.
The intention of the Sparkshops is to stimulate exploration and departmental conversations around teaching and learning. Each session offers:
- An introduction to a specific evidence-based instructional practice or teaching technique
- Examples of applications in the classroom
- Reflection on how and why to implement this technique
Current Sparkshop Topics Include:
- Helping Your Students Get Organized and Stay on Track (eLearn) – Use Scheduler, Checklist and Completion Progress to give students ongoing feedback on their progress
- Building a Glossary in Your Course (eLearn) – Build a resource or create a collaborative assignment for your course
- Sharing in Zoom – Whiteboard/Virtual Backgrounds/PPTs – Engage your audience with a variety of visual tools
- Setting Up Your Gradebook (eLearn) – Avoid common pitfalls and communicate clearly with your students about grading
- Annotating Feedback in Assignments (eLearn) – Learn how to add audio, video and annotation to your assignment feedback
While each of our Sparkhops above are designed with CapU faculty in mind, we would like to acknowledge Boise State University Center for Teaching and Learning as the inspirer and originator of the concept.
Capilano University is named after Chief Joe Capilano, an important leader of the Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh) Nation of the Coast Salish people. We respectfully acknowledge that our campuses are located on the territories of the Lil’wat, Musqueam, Sechelt (shíshálh), Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
Capilano University | 2055 Purcell Way | North Vancouver | BC | Canada | V5J 3H5